Sunday, November 20, 2022

 Week 1 of intensive learning on Duolingo and Memrise


    It has been a week since I started learning those 3 languages online. There are some pluses and minuses.


    Russian- I have done 17 lessons so far on Duolingo. I'm not using Memrise for Russian, I use classical pen and paper. So far I have seen mainly vocabulary that I previously did while I was learning it at school. I have noticed some false friends. I should be careful while translating. I have found a language partner for Russian so I need to prepare to speak it. 

    Czech- I don't like this language so much I'm just doing it because I had it at the University as a mandatory course. I'm no longer doing top 1000 words on Memrise. I found it hard to remember a word without context. I have done 15/84 lessons on Duolingo. It is easy to passively translate at this stage but I still need to work on my active phase. On Memrise I follow a course that is done for a book NEw Czech step by step. I don't have a book but the course looks great. So far I have covered 235 words from the course. 

    Italian- Now we are talking about something that I like doing. Great language in every sense. I have covered the first 15 lessons from Duolingo and I'm doing a course on Memrise that follows Duolingo. So far I did almost 1000 words (981). The problem is the fact that Memrise is taking too much time and it is boring. Today I had to repeat almost 300 words. I'm doing the option for speed review, which feels like cheating. Those of you who use Memrise know what I mean. But it is the only way to do it because I'm covering a large number of words. Today I will have my first talk with a native Italian speaker. I will write a separate post about it. I found him on a website called Conversation exchange. The biggest problem I'm facing in Italian is articles so far. We don't have it in Serbian so I need to get used to them in Italian. Can't wait to have my first real conversation in Italian. 


So far this has been a very interesting journey. I'm just starting. Hope to become a desperate polyglot anytime soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 Week 1 of intensive learning on Duolingo and Memrise     It has been a week since I started learning those 3 languages online. There are so...